14 January 2008

Snow Day!

Well, okay, so it isn't really snowing. But it has been raining for the past few days, which basically has the same effect. The roads are a disaster (lots of flooding and accidents because people continue to drive like their white robes are on fire) and its generally just gloomy. And all of this at the exact same moment the US President arrives in the UAE. What's a forward-thinking Middle Eastern city to do?

Wait, I have it! Let's shut down every major road, government office, bank, school and private company and have a day off. Oh, and let's announce it at 4 pm the day before.

Unbelievable. We went to Abu Dhabi today, thankfully via the only free road in the city, but every possible turn into Dubai was blocked by police barricades. Bas talked to a friend who lives on Sheik Zayed Road, which is the main artery of the city, and he actually couldn't leave his flat because the entire road was blocked. You have to love a country where rain and the arrival of someone important forces a snap decision like that.

Anyway, as a way to cheer myself up, I am posting some long-awaited pictures from our trip to India in November. Better late than never, right? These were sent from our friend Jalpa, who invited us both to give presentations at the event.

These are before and after shots of us eating a fascinating palate-cleanser that involved coconut, rose petals and various other things wrapped in some sort of leaf. As you can tell, the results were mixed.

Next, we have some action shots. That tiny person behind the podium (immediately below) is me. Before I started speaking Bas was afraid that no one would know where my voice was coming from. I showed him--I wore heels! And there's my boy, working the crowd.

And finally, here we are at the tradeshow. Power couple of the flower industry? We're talking to our friend Ravi (Jalpa's husband).And that's all I have for the moment. Its time for me to go out and play in the rain.

No comments: