22 January 2008

GOPs are Red, Dems are Blue, I'm Confused, How 'Bout You?

When we got up this morning and turned on CNN we were just in time to hear Anderson Cooper and his panel of pundits analyze the latest Democratic debate. One of the funniest things I've noticed about myself is that now that I'm living on the other side of the world I pay much more attention to what is happening back in America than I ever did before. How do gas prices impact truckers on the Jersey Turnpike? Ask me, ask me! Post- 9/11 discrimination in US schools? Heard all about it in a This American Life podcast (which I faithfully download every week--I love you, Ira Glass!).

But just because names like Obama, Clinton, Huckabee and Giulani (I just had to ask Google how to spell that and I'm still not sure I got it right) are all over the news doesn't mean that our proud democratic process of electing the next leader of the world's only superpower makes a lick of sense to anyone outside of America.

Born on that--to some, the correct--side of the Atlantic, I thought I had an innate understanding of how the machine clicked along. (This despite the best efforts of the student teacher in my senior year Government class who spent a good hour arguing with me about her belief that there was no inherent difference between Republicans and Democrats...) But when my inquisitive Dutchman watches CNN by my side I am now and again forced to give an impromptu civics lesson. And I'm starting to feel a bit, well, unprepared. For instance:
  • Why was Iowa so important?
  • Now that Nevada picked Hillary, is she the Democrat's candidate?
  • Why does America use the Electoral College?
I came up with semi-decent answers to the first two but I have to agree with the third question. And while I'm sure Al Gore is with me on that one, I'm starting to get a little panicky about what else I will have to explain. I'm just glad Bas isn't a rabid fan of college basketball. There is simply no way I could explain March Madness.

2 comments:

HLW said...

I feel exactly the same and I'm here in the middle of it. Even after watching the news, nothing seems any clearer. Maybe I didn't pay attention as much as I should have in school... it just feels like the media will talk about or spin things the way they want to, which is worrisome if people only get their info from them.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got a political science degree and STILL can't figure out why we use the Electoral College. Something about the forefathers not trusting the public to choose a proper President and all that jazz...

And be glad you are on the other side of the world. We were up to 8 campaign calls a day before Nevada's caucus!